Sunday, June 21, 2009

Beauty is more than skin deep

Molly has a freckle in her diaper area. She's fascinated with it. Lately, when we look at her freckle while I'm changing her diaper, I think of the man who will one day see that freckle. I wish I could bring him back in time to see her now, to see how sweet and innocent and full of life she is. How she hides in plain sight, how she's afraid of the sound of the garbage truck, when she sings You Are My Sunshine before bed, how she hugs so tight you think you'll faint before she's done. I know she'll have heartbreaks, but I want him to see her like this, so he won't ever want to hurt her. To love that freckle as a part of her - to cherish her 'till they're old and grey with children and grandchildren. Forever.

2 comments:

Major Dad said...

I DONT WANT TO THINK ABOUT A MAN SEEING MY DAUGHTERS FRECKLE. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM EVER MENTIONING IT AGAIN. I CANT HEAR YOU....LALLAL..LALALLA....LAALALLA...(Hands over ears)

Hannah said...

That is so very, very precious but I kinda gotta go with Major Dad on this one *fingers in ears* can't hear you ... lalalallallala ...

Don't ya just wish you could stop time sometimes?