Saturday, June 9, 2007

I'm an ungrateful bitch!

As you all know, Ian is going to Catholic high school next year...it's pretty pricey...very pricey. Well, they have scholarships (apparently not academic, which makes no sense)but you have to fill out a really involved form. So, I did. They want all your financial history from birth through now. Babysat when you were 13? Include that. Grandma gave you $5 for a good report card in 2nd grade? Write it down. Tooth fairy money? Document it. (Okay, so I'm exaggerating a bit, but not much!)

So, I fill out these forms, which took quite a bit of time and research (value of home, cars, all credit card balances, I'm talking EVERYTHING). Yesterday we got the award letter - Ian has been awarded a $300 work/study grant. That's right, a whole $300 spread out over our year of payments = approx $20/month. So, J and I talked about it - do we really want Ian to have to empty trash cans or wear a hair net in front of his friends for $300? I just can't bring myself to do that to him. If it were a couple of thousand, sure, he'd just have to suck it up. But $300 is about half of one month's payment. Plus, how much work is he going to have to do for $300? I'm not turning him over to be a slave for that.

So now I have to think of how to politely decline this offer without offending the school or appearing ungrateful, when what I really want to say is "Are you kidding? Thanks but no thanks."

6 comments:

Louisiana Rose said...

Can we get Ian to wear the hairnet anyway on occasion? That would be sooo cool!!

Hannah said...

A hair net? Emptying trash? All in front of his BFFs? Dear Lawd, he is going to start shopping for black trench coats! Please no.

Anonymous said...

Even I feel its bullshit and I'm the first to say "teach him integrity by making him work for it"!!!!

Anonymous said...

Find out what is involved in the work part (I'm sure he's good at he study part) before you turn it down. I've never heard of work/study in high school. It's not just free money??? Ours is.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

No, it's work - they get a supervisor they have to report to and everything. They don't even pay the student (they do at some schools), the money comes straight off the tuition.

Louisiana Rose said...

DJ did work study one year in HS because his friends were doing it. (And being "military" we qualified.) You either worked "inside" emptying trash cans or "outside" raking leaves, etc. He did it one semester and he got the money, so my tuition never was any lower!