Monday, May 11, 2009

The best laid plans...usually end with you in a hospital.

Well, here's how I envisoned today:
Wake up to children saying sweetly "Happy Birthday, Mom!", dropping the girls off at school while J takes Ian to his orthopaedic follow-up. I continue on to my mani/pedi, then my choice of shopping (alone), movies (alone), museum (alone), bookstore (alone), or some combination of the above. I know, not very imaginative, but still.
So, here's how today played out:
Wake up to children saying sweetly "Happy Birthday, Mom!", dropping the girls off at school while J takes Ian to his orthopaedic follow-up. I continue on to my mani/pedi....at which point J calls to tell me they're admitting Ian. As I had just finished with the nails and the place was blocks away from the hospital, I headed straight over. From what I understand, and I'm getting this info second-hand, I have not been in the room while the doctor was there....it sounds like the way the ER doctor put Ian's splint on pinched a nerve - 10 days ago. Then, when I called for an appointment for May 4 as instructed by the ER, they wouldn't give me an appointment until today, May 11. Poor Ian has had no feeling in his foot and can't raise his foot upward. Apparently the doctor is concerned because there has been no blood flow to the lower leg. So, today we watch the leg and it's covered in ice and my poor baby is on IV morphine. Tomorrow they either decide what they did is working, or turn to surgery to remove the pressure. THEN, after that issue is over, they decide what to do about his torn ACL (which was also not mentioned in the ER).

J is staying at the hospital with Ian and I am taking care of the girls at home until I get them back to school and then I'll be back at the hospital.

I must also say a huge "Thank You" to Mom and Dad for the wonderful birthday brunch at the Court of Two Sisters on Mother's Day. I've heard of the restaurant but never been and it was all I thought it would be - fabulous!!

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes!

2 comments:

Louisiana Rose said...

Well, if you start at Court of Two Sisters time and continue to end of Pedi time you had a wonderful 24 hrs. It works.

Happy Birthday first born!

Anonymous said...

Hey Now. What about the Thank you to the brother who babysat, changed a dirty diaper, and wiped creme as Molly insisted, so you could go. Anything for my big sis.

oh yeah....Happy Late Birthday....Been a busy week....sorry