Friday, June 1, 2007

I've got Uganda On My Mind

Seeing "The Last King of Scotland" recently made me start to think about Uganda again. Add that to the fact that I've been bored out of my mind at work (I'm in between tasks for the last few days) so I brought my disks of pics from our trip in 2005. Looking at those pictures brought back a lot of memories. I can't believe it's been almost two years since our trip. Some things I still vividly remember, some I was reminded of when I saw the pictures again. It was so beautiful!!! The people were overwhelmingly nice - occasionally I'd get a little nervous, but that only happened once or twice and I think it was me, not them that had the issues. I just keep thinking about how I'd really, really, REALLY like to go back. Ideally I'd bring J and the kids with me this time - I believe they would have a great time and I think spending time there would make the kids appreciate the lifestyle that they are living now and also get more of an understanding of how large and diverse our planet is. The sights, sounds, and tastes are so hard to convey in stories and photos. Everything there is so vivid - I would love for the kids to see and experience that. It would be cool to see what has changed and what has stayed the same, to see old friends, and to even make new ones. Last time I brought a bunch of Ian's clothes he had outgrown, I'd definitely do that again - last time I wished I'd brought more. I'd bring pump hand soap for Godfrey, movies for Daniel, and snacks for Cissy. I'd try more things (maybe even bugs?) and encourage the kids to play with the children there and to try new foods. I think J would love to try a different beer with each meal. I'd take the kids to see the water experiment at the equator and to visit the Uganda Martyr's Shrine. Hopefully Ian would meet a penpal.

I know, I know...it would take a miracle to make all that happen (esp. J in a plane!!!), but wow, it would be cool. Really, really cool.

No comments: